Are Heat Pumps Effective in the Summertime?
Why Heat Pumps Are a Great Choice for Warm Weather
Rather than using the combustion process like furnaces and most other traditional heating systems, heat pumps extract warmth from the air during wintertime to generate heat in your home. These systems have a reverse valve, making them a heating and air conditioning system all in one. You might think that because of their name, heat pumps work better during wintertime than during summer. However, this is not necessarily true.
Because heat pumps rely on the air outside, they function best when outdoor temperatures don’t dip too low. In the wintertime, heat pumps may have a hard time providing comprehensive heat in climates where the temperature can reach below zero, because there is simply less heat in the air from them to extract, and they have to defrost any ice buildup to ensure safe operation. In warmer climates, on the other hand, heat pumps don’t have to face any of these challenges, therefore making them quite effective during the summer.
Other advantages of installing a heat pump include:
- They can be used year-round
- They are extremely energy-efficient (especially during the winter, because they don’t burn fuel)
- They are more environmentally friendly than traditional HVAC systems (because they use less energy and therefore generate fewer greenhouse gases)
- They cycle on and off less frequently, and therefore provide more even temperatures
- They greatly help reduce humidity in warm climates.
Call AAA Service Plumbing, Heating & Electric for Heat Pumps & More
Consider AAA Service Plumbing, Heating & Electric your go-to company for all your cooling needs this summer. We proudly offer heat pump services as well as a full range of other HVAC options for any home. We also provide indoor air quality solutions, and with thermostat upgrades for total temperature control, you’ll always stay comfortable as long as you’ve got AAA Service Plumbing, Heating & Electric on your side.