The plunger — it’s your weapon of choice when combating sink or toilet clogs. While a plunger usually does the trick, what happens when you keep plunging fiercely but you get nowhere? Here are some alternatives to the plunger to get that stubborn clog removed from that toilet or sink.
Baking Soda and Vinegar: The combination of baking soda and vinegar can do wonders! Thanks to their deodorizing and cleaning properties, mixing these two ingredients together can clear a stubborn clog. Follow these directions:
- Add one cup of baking soda to your clogged toilet or sink.
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in 2 cups of vinegar.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- Flush or rinse to see if the clog has cleared.
Hot Water and Dish Soap: Combining hot water and dish soap may help loosen up a stubborn clog. If you’ve run out of dish soap, you can use shampoo as a substitute. Start with these instructions:
- Heat up 1 gallon of water (do not boil).
- While water is heating, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of dish soap or shampoo to the toilet.
- Carefully pour hot water into the toilet or sink drain.
- Wait a few minutes for the clog to break up.
- Flush toilet or run water to clear the clog.
Tools of the Trade
Plumbing Snake: Every homeowner should invest in a plumbing snake, also known as an auger. You can easily find this inexpensive clog-fix at your local home improvement store. Here’s how to use a plumbing snake:
- Place the head in your toilet or sink drain.
- Slowly turn the handle clockwise.
- Move the snake back and forth to break up the clog.
- Once the clog has loosened, flush or run water down the drain.
Pro-tip — if you have a porcelain toilet, purchase a plumbing snake that has a rubber coating so you don’t damage the toilet.
If your toilet is backing up again after flushing or your sink hasn’t unclogged after trying the above methods you may need professional help to resolve the issue. Our plumbing team at AAA Service can help you with all your drain pipe problems. We use multiple drain cleaning methods depending on the specific type of situation that is impacting your plumbing system. Contact us or schedule an appointment online today! We serve Boulder, Colorado and all surrounding areas.