How to Reset Motion Sensor Lights
For a lot of homeowners, having motion sensor lights outside is extremely important for safety. They help to shine the way when you’re getting home late and night, and they deter unwanted guests from walking around our property. If your motion sensor light has stopped working or is stuck in the on or off position, there is a good chance it has been damaged by some kind of electrical surge or power outage. So the good news is that while many people assume the fixture is to blame when motion sensor lights start acting up, more often than not, the light just needs to be reset. Keep reading to learn how to reset your motion sensor lights, and make sure to call our skilled electricians at AAA Service Plumbing, Heating & Electric for all your outdoor lighting needs.
How to Reset Your Motion Sensor Lights in 5 Easy Steps
- Turn off the circuit breaker that goes to your light fixture for at least 30 seconds. You want to give sufficient time for the breaker to reset before trying the light again.
- If your fixture has a switch, turn it off for roughly two seconds, and then on, and then off, ensuring the light is working properly.
- Turn the motion light off and on a few times (if it has a switch), eventually leaving it in the “on” position.
- After the light has remained on for a suitable period of time, turn it off for about five seconds, and then on again one more time.
- Once you have done all this switching on and off, test your motion sensor light’s sensitivity level, adjusting it to your preferred speed (i.e. do you want it to pick up every little thing that moves in your yard, or only large bodies.) If your motion sensor light fails again after you have completed this reset process, chances are the bulb is the problem rather, rather than the light’s circuit, and you will need to replace it.