Providing Exceptional Service Since 1983
Top 5 Signs Your Light Switch Is Broken
Your Light Switch May Be Broken If:
- The cover is cracked or broken: Usually, a cracked or broken light switch cover is more of a cosmetic issue than an electrical one. Still, leaving your light switch exposed like this can be dangerous, and may create new problems or expose existing ones with a switch’s wiring.
- Your light keeps flickering on and off: If your light flickers whenever you turn the switch on, chances are there’s a problem with the connections between the switch and your light fixture. You may need to install a new light switch if this keeps happening.
- You can hear noises coming from your light switch: If you hear a buzzing, clicking, or popping noise when you turn your switch on, there is likely a problem with the internal components in your wall, and your switch will have to be replaced.
- Your light switch feels warm: It is not uncommon for your dimmer switch to feel warm when you go to turn it off, especially if it has been on for a good amount of time. However, standard toggle light switches should never feel warm to the touch, so if your switch keeps heating up, do not ignore the problem. Especially if…
- Your light switch is sparking: On rare occasions, you may see a small spark come out of your light switch. This is called a load arc, and it generally occurs when the connections within the switch are pulled away from one another. Small sparking like this is actually not a problem, however, large electrical sparking is just about the most dangerous thing a light switch can do. This is usually accompanied by a “snapping” sound, as well as potential smoking and scorch marks. Do not ignore this if it happens, and do not try to use the light switch again. Instead, call a professional electrician to swap out your old light switch with a safe, new replacement.
To learn more about light switches and other household electrical components, contact us online, or call (303) 622-3449 to schedule electrical service with AAA Service Plumbing, Heating & Electric now.